Gwynedd’s Speech and Debate

Lauren Slovensky, Editor-In-Chief

Though it is only two months into the school year, Gwynedd’s outstanding Speech and Debate Team did not skip a beat from last year’s competitions and have already clenched multiple victories for their 2020-2021 season. Despite the competitions looking quite different this year, the girls have adapted and quickly picked up on the dynamic of presenting to none other than a virtual audience.

Regardless of the circumstances, the girls have truly made the most of their time so far and haven given their all in the competitions, starting with the University of Kentucky season opener. Senior Sahiba Tandon placed 7th and sophomore Ava Harvest placed 8th in Original Oratory, but the wins did not stop there. The team took on the Yale University Invitational a few weeks later, and sophomore Ava Harvest had an astounding success as she was named the Champion of Declamation and advanced to the Quarterfinals in Original Oratory, with sophomore Molly Meehan impressively advancing to the Quarterfinals of Dramatic Interpretation of Literature as well. For their third competition of the season, the New York Invitational, the girls competed from their home turf, taking on virtual presentations from their very own classrooms. Bringing home yet another outstanding victory for her team, sophomore Ava Harvest placed an incredible third place in the Original Oratory division of the competition.

Judging by these incredible first wins, the Speech and Debate team is on a roll and has had quite the phenomenal start to their season. In the words of their very own, Coach Shay, “… they have heart, talent, and guts and nothing could make me more proud.” The Gwynedd community is also proud and congratulates the whole Speech and Debate Team on their victories so far, as well as looks forward to the immense success to come in the upcoming months.