Mercy Mester- Global Cuisine

Mercy Mester- Global Cuisine

Charlotte Ormond, Writer

Last week the Gwynedd hallways were filled with a variety of different activities and classes during the longawaited “Mercy Mester.” The students were able to try their hand at upcycling, drone programming, room redesign, adulting 101, journaling and so much more. One popular class that was highly anticipated was the global cuisine class. Led by Mrs. Fasano, Mr. Baillie, and Mrs. Cheesman, the students were able to cook, assemble, and eat three dishes from three different cultures. Mr. Baillie presented the students with ingredients like fish oil, tofu, rice noodles, beef broth, peppers, and ginger and cinnamon in order to make a cup of traditional Vietnamese “Pho.” The students learned about Vietnamese culture and food while eagerly waiting for the tofu to cook. After, they were then able to assemble their own cup and enjoy a warm, savory, cup of pho. When the students moved to Mrs. Cheesman’s class it was time to make the Spanish dish of empanadas and churros. They filled the empanada dough with a mixture of beef and vegetables and created the churros by frying them and rolling them in cinnamon. Last, but certainly not least, was Mrs. Fasano’s cooking class where students learned how to make the timeless dish of tortellini. The girls created, rolled out, and assembled each tortellini and after cooking them, they all thoroughly enjoyed their own little slice of Italy. Thanks to this global cuisine class, the Gwynedd girls now have a greater appreciation for different cultures and foods. A junior at GMA who attended the course, Natalie Plamondon, explained, “I liked to experience the different tastes of the different cultures.” Hopefully, now the girls will be able to carry these recipes on in their own homes and spice up their next family dinner with a new foreign dish.