Mercy Magnet

The Student News Site of Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School

Mercy Magnet

Mercy Magnet

Poll

What end of the year event are you looking forward to?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

GMA's Spirit Week 2024
April 22, 2024

GMA Celebrates Mission Week

This past week, Gwynedd Mercy Academy celebrated their annual Mission Week. Mission week is a time for students and staff to reflect on Gwynedd’s values as well as their individual mission. On Monday, Sr. Marilyn Lacey shared her story about her experience with helping women in South Sudan and what life is like for them. She is the founder and executive director of Mercy Beyond Borders and has been a Sister of Mercy since 1966. With women being the critical concern for the Sisters of Mercy this year, we were very lucky to hear Sr. Marilyn’s knowledge and her path on faith-based leadership. To thank her for her willingness to share her story, as well as introducing us to the struggles that women in South Sudan face, GMA’s Mercy Effect gifted her $2,000 to benefit her organization. Following her speech during community, Sr. Marilyn enjoyed lunch with twelve juniors to engage in advocacy around problems women and girls are facing today. On Tuesday, Sr. Bernadette and Mrs. Mitchell led a prayer service during community titled “Women as Church within the Easter Ceason of Hope.” Sr. Marilyn also visited some classes to share some stories of young girls’ challenges. On Thursday, all grades were pleased to listen to some of the staff and teachers’ experiences with faith and celebrate the house that built them. The female faculty members shared personal reflections on how being a Mercy Girl has shaped them into the inspiring women they are today. To finish off the week, the Gwynedd community joined together in liturgy to reflect on the impactful week they had and to turn to God in thanksgiving.