Mercy Magnet

The Student News Site of Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School

Mercy Magnet

Mercy Magnet

Poll

This poll has ended.

In honor of GMA's Spring Play, who is your favorite character in Clue?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Beauty in Photographic Form

An Inside Look into the Photography Club’s Photo Contest Winners

At Gwynedd, the faculty, staff and students all work hard to make sure the Arts are a priority at school. Under Monarch Media Productions, GMA’s tier one council filled with media and editorial opportunities for students, students find joy and creativity within the Photography Club. The Photography Club is where, with club president Anna Schroeder’s ’24 help, students learn how to capture everyday beauty. The Photography Club recently held a photo contest and crowned three student winners, Brenna Tomsky ’27, Allison Schroeder ’27, Kathryn Garson ’27. Photography Club president, Anna Schroeder and the Mercy Magnet wanted to highlight these wonderful photographer’s works so take a look at the photos themselves and learn about the nspiration behind the winning photos.

1st Place Winner: Brenna Tomsky ’27

“My name is Brenna Tomsky, and this was the photo I took of a Monarch Butterfly (very appropriate for Gwynedd). This photo was taken this past September when I was visiting a beautiful farm-to-table garden restaurant in Cape May, NJ. I noticed that many butterflies were flying around the flowers and wanted to capture a cool moment. I saw this Monarch on one of the flowers and began to take several pictures of it on my iPhone 12 in portrait mode. I managed to get it flying off, to capture a beautiful moment! Hope you find this photo fascinating!”

2nd Place Winner: Allison Schroeder ’27

“My photo features a beautiful flower in the Gwynedd garden. I took this photo in early September of this year. There were a lot of flowers in the garden, but this particular one caught my eye because of the way that the sun shone through it. It also had water droplets on it, which beautifully reflected the golden rays of the sun. I feel that my photo truly encapsulates the beauty of early fall.”

3rd Place Winner: Kathryn Garson ’27

“This is my picture of moth orchids. I took it while I was on a nature walk through a garden while on vacation. I used my iPhone fourteen and adjusted the exposure and black point. It captured my attention because of its bright purple middle and pure white petals.”