Start of Winter Sports

Lauren Ryan

The official PIAA Winter Sports 2022 start date is Friday, November 18, which means it’s time to get excited for Gwynedd basketball, swimming, and indoor track! After a great fall sports season all-around, this winter is shaping up to be just as fun, competitive, and successful!

I spoke to a few Monarchs who look forward to their winter sports this year. “I’m so excited to start swim season with all my amazing teammates!” says Lilly Morrissey, a sophomore swimmer. Sophomore Caitlin Scanlon, who will participate in indoor track and field as well as outdoor track in the spring, says “I am excited to get ready for the spring season and to get closer with my teammates and coaches.” Freshman basketball player Bailey Balkir, who has been working hard with her team in the offseason, says, “We had a fall league, a summer league, and a lot of open gyms, so we got to see all the girls’ potential. I’m excited to see how the team plays together.” It is safe to say that Lilly’s swim teammates, Caitlin’s track teammates, and Bailey’s basketball teammates all share their same enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

All three winter sports teams will be led by talented returning upperclassmen, and younger athletes will make an impact as well. The teams are also expecting the entire student body to contribute to their seasons from the student section, so make sure to come out and support the Monarchs! Best of luck to all winter athletes!