Gwynedd Basketball Starts Their Season Strong

Jenna Mangan, Editor

Basketball season is officially here, and the Gwynedd monarchs are ready to dominate on the court this year. Coming off an undefeated 2020-21 season and district champion title, the basketball team is pumped to get out on the floor and start competing again. Their first game was this past Saturday, December 11th, against Radnor Highschool. The monarchs came out strong and took the lead early in the first quarter. Senior captain Sofia Coleman said, “We never really lost our momentum in the game after that and just kept playing our hardest leaving it all out on the court.” The monarchs battled it out with Radnor throughout the entire game, but Gwynedd’s offensive playmaking and lock-down defense were tough to beat handing them their 45-19 win over Radnor. After the game senior captain, Maddie Newell said, “We were all just really excited for the season to start and to get out on the court again, and I think that energy carried over into the game.”

Gwynedd added another win to their record this past Tuesday, December 14th, against Bishop Shanahan High School. This game was a nail-biter with a close score the entire game and both teams leading at various points. In the fourth quarter, Bishop Shanahan tied up the score 48-48 with nine seconds left to go. The monarchs quickly passed the ball into their junior point guard, Hannah Griffin, where she drove the ball down the lane and banked a layup in the last second of the game resulting in a 50-48 win over Shanahan. What a remarkable way for Gwynedd Basketball to start their season!

The monarchs have a very competitive schedule ahead of them this year including a tournament in Charleston, SC, and the ALS Charity Game in Holy Spirit, NJ. Their next game is at Gwynedd’s home court this Saturday, December 18th, against Conwell Eagan. Come out to support the monarchs and be sure to check out the GMAHS Athletic Instagram for scores and updates about the Gwynedd Basketball team. GO MONARCHS!