Field Hockey Senior Night

Lauren Ryan

On Thursday, October 6th, the Gwynedd field hockey team celebrated nine seniors at their rivalry game against Mount St. Joseph Academy. The seniors – Audrey Beck, Alex Falconio, Caroline Fitzgerald, Bria Mahony, Colleen Mullin, Ella Saxon, Catherine Fitzgerald (Captain), Sydney Mandato (Captain, Penn field hockey ’27), and Lilly Sweeney (Captain, Ohio State field hockey ’27) – have been amazing players and leaders for the team this year. These girls have made an outstanding impact on Gwynedd field hockey including contributing to the Monarch’s current ranking as #1 in the district (from the PIAA), #8 in the state, and #17 in the nation (both from Max Field Hockey). These seniors are truly a special group who lead and inspire the team every day, on and off the turf.

Gwynedd vs. Mount games, in any sport, is a special experience, but when it is Senior Day as well, the energy is unmatched. The afternoon began with the seniors being honored as they were cheered on by their teammates, family members, and other Gwynedd students. Then, at game time, every senior got to start the game, and Gwynedd quickly took the lead. After 60 minutes of outstanding team play, the final buzzer sounded, and the Monarchs won 4-0. Every senior played a role in the win. The defenders and goalie maintained the shutout, the forwards attacked and scored on the offensive end, and the midfielders helped on both sides of the field. To close out the day, the JV field hockey team also won their game 2-1.

After the game, the team continued to celebrate with a post-game meal and pictures in front of the signs that were hand-made for each senior. Since then, the Monarchs have continued their success, defeating Radnor High School on Friday, October 7th. The field hockey season includes three more regular season games on October 11th, 13th, and 19th, and then the district tournament. Gwynedd students can expect to see the field hockey team’s nine incredible seniors – as well as a talented group of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors – continue to demonstrate skill, poise, energy, and teamwork as the season goes on.